South Island, New Zealand 27 Nov - 5 Dec 2016

If you are too lazy to read, you can opt for video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJAMGNlW3VE

Day 1 - 27 Nov 2016

So we took off another midnight plane off to Christchurch. Arrived at about 5am in the morning, went to collect our car from Omega Car Rental then head off for breakfast/ grocery before we head off for our day 1.

I do not recommend anyone doing what we did, as we were seriously drained by 6pm NZ time.  We started driving non stop to Wanaka, arriving at around 3-4pm. We were supposed to make a detour, heading to the west coast for our 19,000 feet skydive. But due to bad weather, the skydive was cancelled and thus our driving was cut short to 5 hours instead of the 8-9 hours drive. It was no joke, we had to take turn taking naps while another person drives.

We made one pit stop at Lake Tekapo since it was on the way and was blown away by the wind and of course the scenery. It was freezing cold and I was so regretful of the clothes I took, thinking I could have worn them.

Anyway, our entire trip is based off airbnb apartments. So Robbie was our first host and she's really friendly and nice. She recommended us many places and told us what to take note and all. So after she left us, we decided to head down to the winery that she mentioned with a beautiful sight. It was really pretty and chilly at the same time. The wind was strong. Robbie mentioned to us too about the mountain top snowing the night before. What a summer aye?

After the winery, we head off to Mt. Iron as recommended by Robbie, she say she does it everyday, takes 25 min to get up the top. So I thought I will probably need 40min since I am a beginner on that mountain and also, I was dead tired. So we set off and took a much longer time than expected with lots of whining from me. I was dying from the lack of sleep and the lack of rest. We reached the top at about 6pm and head down for dinner at around 7pm.

I was surprised that Wanaka was quite similar to Vienna, Sunday = mostly everything closed. So GG, we walked into an Italian Restaurant, Francesca's Italian Kitchen, and was treated with disgusted look all because we were asians. We then realise there are no asians at all in the restaurant and left anyway since the waitress told us they were fully booked until 8.30pm. (Although there were many empty tables around).

We then decided to head into WGK, which was a little friendlier than the other restaurant. We waited for quite a bit and I was dozing off while waiting for my food. As we had lack of sleep, I didn't really have the appetite to eat. All I could think off was to head back and sleep. We ended our day early after eating. Went back to shower then slept.

Lake Tekapo, Church of the Good Sherpard


My 'trying to look professional with DSLR shot of Lake Tekapo'



Lake Tekapo from another view point



At the winery


The famous Wanaka tree

At the peak of Mt. Iron



Day 2 - 28 Nov 2016

Comes Day 2 and we were still dead tired from day 1.Woke up, rushed and head down for deep canyon. We had initially booked for a tougher stream but due to the gushing of water from the snow mountains, we had to change it to the Niger stream. Luckily, we managed to go for it. The water level was still manageable.

When they started the crash course of how to abseil and wear the wet suit etc. I had the thought of ' what did I sign myself up for'. Everything is in your own hands, in your own control. I think we are too pampered in Singapore. So we abseil down waterfalls, and slide, superman-ed and jump off rocks. Climb up cliffs and did flying fox. It was so awesome after you take the first step.

Although I did felt like a burden the whole time. Due to my size and lack in stamina. My asian genes don't allow me to hike up as fast as most other races do. So, I apologise for any held back I created. i really enjoyed it. Wouldn't mind going again. After I build up my stamina a little more.

We met really nice people from around the globe in the group, helping and guiding. Really happy to know everyone. So, we bought the photos and ended the day short again, went back to cook some noodles for dinner and head off to sleep again.

Oh yea, I have to mention that this is my first time tasting true spring water, and it tastes so good.













Day 3 - 29 Nov 2016

On this very day, we were supposed to head off for bungy jump, but we are whims. We still think that doing skydiving first will prep us in bungee, so we had to try the one in Wanaka. But the weather wasn't in our favour and the wind was too strong for skydive. Everything was delayed in skydive. Hence we cancelled and head straight down for bungee. We had it pre-booked for discounts and it can't be changed. So, off we go and yeah scare the shit out of myself. But totally worth it. One off the bucket list.

The pictures taken by the professionals were so good that I couldn't resist but to buy them.








Bungy jump was terrifying as hell. Although it didn't look high from the side. It was terrible the moment you step onto the board. The guy that held me was really a good talker and after 1.5 min, I finally muster up my courage and scream and jump off the board. Well, all I can say is that, its the moment when you are standing and first taking the leap that is scary. Otherwise, nah, its not scary anymore.

I initially told Bun that I wanna jump first before him. But due to the weight difference, he had to go before me, on the other side of the board with another thicker rope. He was given the option if he will wish to touch the water, but he didn't wanna get wet. I didn't get a chance to pick at all. Anyway, when the staff called for him to go first, he wasn't mentally prepared but did it anyway, and his scream made everyone at the side laughed. Then I thought I would have to requeue as I left the queue although I had my harnesses on already. In the end, when I return back to the queue, I was push forward again how how bun did and went next after the indian girl before me.

After our exciting time at Kawarau Bungy, we head off back to Queenstown for dinner then to  Glenorchy for our apartment. We had Fergbuger for dinner and it was tasty although the queue was long. Scott met us there with his dog and pony. It's really amazing how people lives outside of the city and lives so comfortably. That night, we head out to try out luck with photographing stars. But failed and head back in after seeing multiple shooting stars. Our apartment gets pitch dark after the sun sets. So its really good for star gazing.

 Picture of the Kawarau River

Fergburger




Picture attempt to photograph some stars

Right outside our apartment




Our view the whole time in NZ road tripping.





Day 4 - 30 Nov 2016

I swear days passed so fast, I wasn't even able to keep track of them. So after one night stay in Glenorchy, we left for Queenstown for our Nevis giant swing again. Also rung up Skydive Paradise for our unsucessful skydive for the past few days. We had to park our car and take their bus up to the area as it was a private area. And due to our carelessness, we received a parking fine for NZ$40 for parking in the campervan area. We didn't notice the sign that was blocked by the big campervans.

But anyway, we had our fun at the Nevis giant swing, and literally shit ourselves before we decided to muster some courage and head over to do it. Me and Bun then figure out how we are the total opposite of each other when it comes to adrenaline activities. I usually freak out before head and feel ok during it while he feels ok beforehand and freaks out during it. Also why many mentioned of him looking really scared when we were doing the giant swing in the video.

I personally find the Giant Swing to be more scary as compared to bungy. The height was tripled compared to bungy, although I didn't need to be in control. But if I were to do Nevis bungy, I probably find bungy much more scary. I am still amaze till this point how just a few ropes can support so well.








After giant swing, we had off to our next apartment at Te Anau. Staying at very very old house by Paul. But his stories were amazing. He was there to see us and then showed us to our room. Gave us many detailed explanation of places of interest. So we cook, ate, and slept early that night as we had book for the first cruise in Milford Sound at 8.15. It takes 2 hours to get to Milford sound from Te Anau.

Day 5 - 1 Dec 2016

Milford sound cruise. Ok so we speed our way to Milford sound to catch the cruise as we were running late. Be mindful that your phone will lose signal on the way there and at Milford sound. Don't expect to be posting live videos or ig immediately. Impossible.

The wind was so strong and the air was so cold. We could see water vapour from our breaths.
We got lucky according to Paul as we were able to see some penguins while spotting seals basking in the sun as well. It was seriously freezing and Bun somehow managed to video the entire time with his hands out. I can't even hold it out for 15 min without hiding my hand back in under the jacket.

We were wearing the our long sleeves, with another hoodie jacket, followed by our windproof jacket.

Didnt manage to take much picture as the camera decided that the memory was full and didn't allow anymore pictures. Anyway, I can conclude that Milford sound looks really good in picture but just 'meh' in naked eyes.


while waiting for the tunnel to clear


Milford Sound







The Chasm, another really easy walk which can be done in less than 20 min, although they put it as 45 min. 


Somewhere along the way to the tunnel when we were leaving Milford Sound, can't leave without more pictures



The Kea is easily spotted around the Milford highway, just have to keep a look out.



After Milford Sound, we head back to our room for a nap then heading out again in the evening for mirror lake. Somehow gopro capture it clearer than a DSLR. We met a scottish guy at mirror lake too. Chat for a bit then his accent got stronger and we both couldn't pick it up anymore.



We then drove around the town area and saw nothing amazing and how dead quiet it was. I think its the dream for insomnia people. To go to places like this and take a good long rest. Will definitely recover. Paul was really nice too, sharing with us the information on wildlife he has gotten when he was in Steward Island. I don't think I can ever do what he is doing, camping out in the wild for a few weeks then heading back to civilisation. Really patient and amazing guy.

Day 6 - 2 Dec 2016

From Te Anau, we drove back down to Glenorchy for our skydive. Finally, from the first adrenaline activity, it turn out to be the last. The weather pulled a huge prank on us. But maybe for our own sake as well. Will probably be even more burn out if we did sky dive the first day on the west coast.












After our skydiving, Bun suddenly felt sick, due to the air pressure from the sky. So came the the motion sickness and I had to solo our way from Glenorchy to Twizel. The bowl of rice I had before the drive doesn't help at all. Made me felt even more sleepy than ever.

So the tired me, caused a few stuns and swift on the road. Thankfully we are both safe and sound, so is the car. I think Bun's heart pump super quickly, gave him another adrenaline rush moment. Oops.

Yeah so we went in cook and rest, then head out to for star gazing again at Lake Tekapo. But the crowd was mad. There were also people who turn on their flash trying to get pictures of the stars.... omg. -.-

But it was a failed trip. Not as great as glenorchy and even colder than glenorchy. We tried near the church of good shepherd, then went up to mt john and turn into ice cube before we decide to give up and head back home to rest.

My failed photography skills :




Our car ride view around Te Anau and Twizel : 










Day 7 - 3 Dec 2016 

Hooker Valley Track, Mt Cook. We have decided to do the Hooker Valley Track and take it a slow pace, taking pictures and relaxing. 









On our way there and back, the view from car is so damn pretty.





It is quite a easy track without much steep slopes. Just that it is very longgggg. But otherwise, the pavement is pretty flat and straightforward. The wind on the other hand, was a factor as it was really strong. We cooked again as usual and had a little disagreement with the host due to her entering the apartment without consent or enough advance notice. Was pretty good otherwise. 


Day 8 - 4 Dec 2016

The day we leave Twizel to head back to Christchurch. That was when reality hit me. Like 'omg, time is almost up in NZ. that's fast'. Well, when you enjoy what you are doing, time pass very quickly. But this was way too fast. In anyway, we arrived at our apartment again in christchurch near evening and was greeted by Storm. The dog by the neighbours. That very day, Bun's final sem result was release and he graduated. YAYYYY. So since it was the last full night in NZ and with the piece of good news, I told bun lets head out for dinner since we have saved so much money, much more than we estimated. 

So, we went to Bloody Mary's and I have zero clue it was in a hotel. But anyway, luckily our track pants don't look too bad. So at this restaurant, we had our best steaks in our life. It was soooooo amazing. I can't even. Aged meat. Was sooooo damn amazing. I had the Hereford Prime, 30 days aged, rib eye with port wine and thyme sauce. Soo good. Will def go for it again if we are ever in in Christchurch. 


We then went to countdown to get some souvenirs and went back to pack up our stuff. Ended the night well with good food and happy tummies. 

Day 9 - 5 Dec 2016

Last day in NZ :( We have decided to go to Willowbank Wildlife Reserve. I think I had my expectations too high after visiting the one in Philip Island. So, my hopes were crushed. We still get to feed some deers and had some fun. Oh and the main star we were loooking for. KIWI. We managed to see them. Satisfied and went home to make simple dinner and left for the airport. Wanted to get something for his dad's bday but the DFS there had nothing like what Bun had in mind. When we got back to Melb, we were drop dead tired. 

The kiwi we tried to take a picture of, but it was too dark and difficult. It's drinking water from the pond in this one. 


It was fun but a really budget trip. Will def wanna go again next time for the other activities that I didn't managed to do this time round. Hopefully, soon :) 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment